UPDATED 9/16/2020 @ 2:14PM
Portland Rock Gym reopened for Phase 1 on Monday 6/22/2020. Guidance regarding how best to minimize risk of infection has, and will continue to, change over the course of this pandemic. This page will always be kept up to date with everything that you need to know to use the gym during COVID-19.
Hours and Service
At this time, Portland Rock Gym is open the following hours:
- Mon, Wed, Fri: 11am - 10pm
- Tue, Thu: 7am - 10pm
- Sat: 9am - 6pm
You can reserve a climbing time-slot as far as 5 days out. These reservations are the best way to guarantee room for yourself in the gym. The gym is limited to 72 climbers at any given time. This limit easily allows for more than 9 ft of social distancing to occur for everyone throughout the gym (or much more than that if you account for vertical space).
Early Bird memberships are still available and will continue to be honored. Early Bird day pass prices will be the same as regular day passes at this time.
COVID-19 Customer Protocol
Below are our COVID-19 specific rules designed to minimize risk of infection. These rules will actively be enforced by our staff. We have the right to refuse service to anyone not following these rules. If you learn that you may have used the gym while carrying COVID-19, contact us so that we can assist local health authorities with contact tracing. Thank you for your understanding!
- We ask that you book your climb-time ahead of arriving to guarantee availability and to prevent congregation in the lobby.
- Confirm your contact information at the front desk upon arrival to ease contact tracing and communication regarding future rules changes.
- A mask is required at all times, including while you climb. Bandannas and other loose cloth coverings don't count as masks. Complementary single-use masks are available in case you forgot yours at home.
- We will be checking temperatures at check in. If your temperature is 100.4 or greater you will not be permitted to use the gym until 48 hours after your fever has subsided without medication. Do not visit the gym if you are sick or displaying any symptoms of infection: cough, chills, fever, sore throat, muscle pain, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, new loss of sense of taste or smell.
- Show up dressed and ready to climb. Locker rooms and showers will be closed and we want to minimize congregation around cubbies.
- Rentals will be limited to shoes, harnesses, and belay devices. We will not be renting out yoga mats during Phase I. New Prana ECO Mats are available to purchase at the front.
- Only liquid chalk is permitted. We have liquid chalk available for purchase at the front desk.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before and after climbing.
- Climbing will take place in limited capacity “Zones” outlined each day in order to social distance appropriately. Physically distance yourself from other climbers by at least 6 ft.
- In addition to showers and locker rooms, the Instruction Room, and cardio equipment will be initially off limits.
- Drinking fountains will be limited to the bottle filling station upstairs.
- In addition to checking-in when you arrive, you will be asked to check-out when you leave and exit through the bike garage exit on Couch St.
These rules will actively be enforced by our staff. We have the right to refuse service to anyone not following these rules. Thank you for your understanding!
So long as our hours are limited, we will be waiving our membership freeze fee (normally $10 per month).
Classes, Programs, Guiding, and Yoga
Intro Classes Learn to top rope belay Saturdays from 11am-1pm and Wednesday nights 7-9pm. Class includes all the gear rental for a week plus a membership! Members get half-off. Limited to 6 students
Lead Classes Learn to lead over two consecutive Saturdays. Classes are 3 hours each for a total of 6 hours of instruction. Limited to 6 students.
After School Programs started on September 14th. Each program has limited attendance. These programs start and end earlier than normal to avoid overlap with other gym users.
Guiding has returned for Gym to Crag and Private Guiding. If you'd like to book a custom outing, please email: email@example.com
Yoga classes are limited to 8 students and a teacher. Bookings are required in advance.